Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 27: I have to change something.

Tuesday, July 18th

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily.
Zig Ziglar


This whole blogging thing has worked so well for me since I started. It makes me feel like I’m accountable for what I accomplish and what I don’t. However, I feel like I need to make some kind of new game plan. It’s not that I have completely lost all motivation for exercise, but what I’m doing now obviously isn’t working. I worked out only a couple of days last week after taking an entire week off, and I didn’t do anything yesterday either. I know it is pretty much the same thing, but I think I’ll change my “goals” to a “to-do” list. Maybe that will work better for me. I like checklists!

I don’t know what to do to re-motivate myself for exercise, though. I think I just need to get out there and do it, and I’ll remember how much I enjoyed it before. The problem is (and I’m trying not to make excuses here) that it gets so damn hot this time of year. I don’t really want to be going for a walk, let alone jogging in that heat. So, I thought that maybe I’ll do a walk after Colby’s morning nap, and go for a jog after he’s gone to bed at night, while Clint’s studying for the CPA exam. That sounds all well and good, but I have yet to follow through.

I should probably give myself a little bit of a break, though. It’s not like I sit around the house all day long when I don’t work out. In fact, on Saturday my dad, Clint, Colby, and I took a 16 mile bike ride! It was so nice to get back on that bike again. My ass hurt like nobody’s business for a good couple of days, but that was partially my fault for wearing jean shorts. In my defense, I didn’t realize that we would be going so far.

So, I guess I need to do like my quote of the day says and motivate myself on a daily basis. I know I have come a long way since giving birth to Colby, and I don’t want to give up now. Not before I really feel like I’ve done all I can to lose weight and tone up. I have lost a good deal of weight, but 142 is still pretty high for me. My next weigh-in is at Colby’s 12 month checkup at the end of September (I only weigh myself at the doctor’s office because we don’t own a scale), so I hope to be down to 135 by then (or less!).

I realize that this one is a long blog, but I missed yesterday, so I guess I’m making up for it today. I also realize that lately I have been coming up with all of these crazy ideas of things I want to do with myself like have my own business, learn photography, etc. I have a couple more items to add to that list. First, I think I want to go back to college and finish my minor (or maybe make it a double major) in Russian. I feel like I didn’t learn as much as I really want to. What happened was I had a really excellent grasp on the language and signed up for it at the university. They weren’t offering the 2nd year, only the 3rd, but the professor thought I’d do fine. Turns out, missing the 2nd year made it so I missed a good chunk of the grammar and foundation to the language, so I was pretty much lost in the woods for that whole 3rd year class. And then, I gave up. This was mostly due to the fact that I had only 2 years at the university and that 2nd year class wasn’t offered until my last year there. I didn’t want to stay a whole other year there just to do Russian. I wanted to graduate! So, if I do get myself into this, there are 2 dilemmas: 1. Money, and 2. What to do with Colby. Eh, I guess I’ll figure it out if it’s something I truly want to do.

The second crazy idea of mine isn’t that crazy, I guess. Clint and I really want to go to Europe. This was brought on because his older brother Mike just got back from 2 weeks there and seeing his pictures and hearing all of his stories made us want to go so bad. I have never been to Europe, only Russia. We want to go to Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, maybe France, but we want to backpack it, not have any strict schedule as to where we’re going to be at any given time. I realize that a European vacation will cost us a small fortune, so I don’t expect us to go any time soon. In fact, it probably won’t be until we’re all done having kids and they’re a little bit older. But that’s fine, as long as we do it eventually. I thought it would be really cool if we spent most of our time in, say... Italy, that we go through a crash course of Italian so we have a basic understanding of the language. That would be awesome. I took some Italian lessons from my friend’s grandpa years ago, but sadly I didn’t learn what I should’ve because we spent a lot of the time eating her grandma’s awesome Italian food!

I don’t know why I’ve been thinking up all of these things to do with myself lately. Maybe it’s because I’m at home and seeing as how Colby isn’t that great for conversation yet, I have lots of time to think to myself. I am definitely not bored at home and absolutely love what I do. I love my job of being a mom, taking care of the house, and holding down the fort! It’s relaxing (but not always) and rewarding all at the same time! And best of all, I get to watch my baby grow up! He’s just weeks or maybe even days away from walking and I’m glad that I get to experience all of these milestones first-hand.

Anyway, enough of my gabbing. Congratulations if you made it through my lengthy blog! You get a cookie.
To Do:
1. Drop stuff off at Goodwill
2. Do dishes
3. Straighten up
4. Walk
5. Jog 10 mins

No comments: