Thursday, January 31, 2008

Extraordinary Talent

I cannot count the number of times in my life that I have wished for some extraordinary talent. As a child I wanted more than anything to be a singer. I went through another phase where I hoped to play the violin professionally. As I grew older and went to college (and came down to Earth), I wished I could be a successful, charismatic business woman who rocketed her way to the top.

But never had I wished for such talent than the moment my babies entered this world, and still to this day. How badly I wish that I were an amazing artist so I could perfectly capture so many sweet moments.

If only I could paint the many kisses on chubby cheeks and bellies, or photograph the silly games of Duck Duck Goose and Mommy Chase Me While Growling Like A Monster. If only I could compose the perfect sonata to capture the slow dances to music that brings tears to my eyes, and the booty shakin' boogies that make me tear up with laughter.

Truthfully though, even if I had the talent, it wouldn't do these moments justice. Even the most talented artist, photographer, or composer could not truly capture raw, down to the core, heart wrenching, feeling.

It is impossible to photograph the smell of lavender shampoo infused with spit up on my precious baby girl. You cannot paint the overwhelming pride I feel when my son pees on the potty or gives his sister soft kisses. There is no way to compose the feeling of heartbreak and yet sense of being needed when my little one is sick or hurt. It is impossible to show the way my heart melts when I see the love of my life loving our babies.

I may not be as talented in the areas that I would like, but I am thankful for my memories. I thank God for the simple little moments, smells, and feelings that make this life worth living.

No comments: