Monday, January 14, 2008

My Morning Adventures

1/14/08

It's 7:30 am and my first thought is, "I really wish my kids had a snooze button." The second is, "Damn, I need coffee," and thus begins my day.

After crawling out of my warm, cozy bed, I change diapers, get cereal, and heat up our single serve coffee maker. I can almost taste that first warm sip.

Colby is potty training and presently informs me, "Pee pee!" so we run to the bathroom where he sits there playing with the toilet paper and making a teensy little tinkle in the potty. I act like it is the coolest thing in the world and jump around like an idiot clapping and cheering him on. We flush, wash up, and head back to the breakfast table.

I toss out the old coffee pod, put in a new one, and place a cup under the resevior.

Lily starts whining and needs to be fed, so I scoop her up and we plop down on the couch. Colby has Curious George on and even after Lily finishes eating, I sit there watching, as if I hadn't already seen the George Builds a Dam episode 5 times. At this point, I watch Lily rub her eyes and accidentally scratch herself with her fingernails. I grab the clippers and remedy that problem, and then decide to do Colby's. Before that can happen, Colby decides to do his big pee on the floor just feet from the little potty and informs me that I need to go grab a towel.

On my way to the towel, I start brewing the coffee, in hopes that I'll actually be able to drink it.

I clean up the pee, throw a load of towels in the washer, clip Colby's nails, and am shocked that I actually get to have my coffee now. I put in my peppermint creamer and take that first, wonderful, glorious sip. Mmmmm caffeine heaven.

Someone calls about an unpaid bill from Lily's birth and I tell them that I already contacted our insurance because the bill was incorrect. This reminds me that I have some bills to pay.

I pay bills online, get distracted by MySpace Blogging, returning emails, and BabyCenter. There goes 45 minutes.

More pee on the potty, dancing around like a nut, cleaning up accidents, changing diapers, giving medicine, calling doctors to make appointments, and before I know it, the morning has disappeared.

Crap! My coffee! It's 11:30 so I know there is little hope, but I pick it up anyway and take a sip. Blech, it's cold.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be able to drink my whole cup of coffee while it's still nice and warm.

No comments: